New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Strategies to Avoid Burnout?

Ask HN: Strategies to Avoid Burnout?
16 by throwaway48181 | 11 comments on Hacker News.
I'm in a situation where I'm the senior engineer on a team that has to manage a lot of work. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now and having to work nights to keep up with it all. The main responsibilities are: 1) Building out products, building features and working with the PM to ensure everyone is reaching deadlines. That means working with both backend and frontend engineers. 2) My team has a lot of reusable components that other people use and build on, this makes other teams want to change our APIs often and add things to them. I've been having to code review & design review a lot. There's at least 2-3 concurrent projects at any time every quarter. 3) Work on bugs that come up that sometimes are simple and sometimes require significant investigation. The team has 3 Product Managers right now so we always have tons of feature requests, asks to investigate future work, etc. I have only one other team member right now who has been taking on one of the larger projects that requires a lot of cross coordination. They're posting PRs late into the night so asking them to take on more work seems unreasonable. What's some solutions here? 1 & 3 seem that they still have to happen regardless. But I'm wondering if there are better ways to do 2? Do I need to have to help them find solutions? Do I stop participating in these API changes and just let technical debt accumulate and fix it later? My manager wants to hire more people but we've had more people, the work just increases to accommodate that new engineer.

No comments