New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Can open source projects use adopters' logos without getting permission?

Ask HN: Can open source projects use adopters' logos without getting permission?
4 by mountainview | 2 comments on Hacker News.
My project is under Apache License 2.0, and it's adopted by many users for their production environment for commercial usage. I want to let more people know about my projects and provide social proofs using a logo wall with all the adopters' logos. My question is: can I just use their logos without asking for permission from their marketing/legal department? Or at least, if I used it without the permission, is there some kind of law to protect me if being sued? Could really use some help here. I have been supporting this big user, but they asked me not to use their logo or tell people that they are using my project because they might not look good, and they are not paying me at all or plan to pay...

No comments