New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: How many hours/week are you expected to work in SV/NY/other tech hubs?

Ask HN: How many hours/week are you expected to work in SV/NY/other tech hubs?
30 by andy_adams | 31 comments on Hacker News.
For someone outside Silicon Valley, the salaries being paid to rank-and-file software engineers seem very high - which is great! However, on many job postings you'll see words like "grit" or "passion" listed as requirements. These are codewords for "we'll work you hard" and "overtime expected", as far as I can tell. Software Engineers in Silicon Valley or comparable large tech hubs: * How many hours do you work per week? * Do higher-salaried jobs require more hours? Both individual examples and higher-level overviews of the market are appreciated. Context: I'm a software consultant working with software companies in tech hubs - but I work remotely. I occasionally check their job postings and am $urprised at the pay rates and wonder if I'm underpaid. But then I think: Are there long hours involved? Is 50+ hours/week the minimum?

No comments