New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Start a charity-driven staffing firm?

Ask HN: Start a charity-driven staffing firm?
16 by throwaway322 | 18 comments on Hacker News.
TL;DR a recent health scare has me reevaluating what I want out of life. I reason my wife and I can run a boutique staffing agency placing primarily software developers in the NYC area drawing salaries of up to 75k each, pay our overhead and together aim to donate 100k-200k+ as a business yearly. I’m a veteran of the NYC IT staffing market but recent years have me disillusioned with the business and just doing some consulting work and taking some down time. A recent health scare really makes me want to make some big life changes that include focusing on work that matters. I think we can reduce our family spending to the point where we could take a family pay cut but do work we find fulfilling that ultimately makes a difference in the world. In my mind the goal would be to somehow have a formula that gives 50% of every placement to charity and the rest to cover payroll and overhead until we reach our 150k total salaries at which time everything short of overhead would go to charity. If our message resonated with companies and candidates to a point where our daily focus could be service rather than sales the amount we could give away (as two normal working people) could be incredible. Question to the HN crowd: Am I crazy, could this work?

No comments