New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Company is firing all employees – should I still exercise my options?

Ask HN: Company is firing all employees – should I still exercise my options?
52 by Lindathefounder | 78 comments on Hacker News.
About 2.5 months ago I left my executive position at a promising blockchain startup. As I am nearing the end of my 90 day period for option exercising, i've come to know that the company sent out prior notice to all employees a few days ago, as it is struggling to raise money. All 3 founders are at work trying to raise capital in the upcoming month before money runs out and they are also planing on continuing to do so after all employees leave. On one hand, I am very hesitant to exercise because of the current status. On the other hand, the company has a remarkable product (which they might decide to sell) and the industry is still very much in it's diapers, meaning there is tons of true potential. i have a lot of faith in the founders but the recent news really threw me off. Would love to hear your thoughts! More information: -Company size: 15 employees -Exercise price: $20 (679 options/2.3% of the company) -Company raised from several VC's and also via ICO. -I still hold company's digital currency. -Status: recently launched product (fully functional) after 1.5 years of development with very few customers but high growth rate.

No comments