New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: I Lost My Job

Ask HN: I Lost My Job
10 by uvw | 7 comments on Hacker News.
About a week ago I was laid off. In 15+ years I am working as developer, I was never considered for a layoff. I am soul searching for a week now, and finally I got over my anger, disappointment and anxiety and ready to move on. I believe it was nothing to do with my performance of skills as a developer. I believe I was expected to perform as a leader on top of solving problems, writing applications and my lack of leadership skills made me not worth my paycheck. In retrospect, higher ups did mention in passing about an year ago about how I need to speak up in meetings etc. I think I don't know how to be a leader at a workplace. So I come here being humbled. If you are a leader/team leader/c-suite people/managers please enlighten me. Or point me towards videos, books, ted talks, internet articles. I want to learn and be a better person and also don't want to repeat the mistakes in a new job.

No comments