New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Visualizing a Sphere

Ask HN: Visualizing a Sphere
5 by three_fourteen | 3 comments on Hacker News.
Hi HN, This is going to be a strange question; but if any audience is going to appreciate it I think HN will :) I started meditating in January with the goal of reaching an hour of consecutive meditation by the end of the year. I’m on a 218 day streak and I’m already up to 62 minutes and now intend to get to 90 minutes by the end of the year. Another hobby is reading, where I have been able to use the right hemisphere of my brain to visualize concepts rather than subvocalizing the words, bringing my reading speed to 500-600 words per minute with a solid understanding (non-fiction). My question is: how can I understand and visualize a sphere in my mind’s eye from an atomic and mathematical perspective? E.g. what books on geometry, physics, equations, or techniques would one recommend? Why a sphere? As I’m sure many here know it is the most powerful of all shapes. Planets are spherical due to the pressure of their own gravity, this shape has the least amount of surface and thus conserves energy. It’s a Sunday so hopefully you’ll entertain my strange question :)

No comments