New top story on Hacker News: Tell HN: Google's new summarize SMS just read another person's messages to me

Tell HN: Google's new summarize SMS just read another person's messages to me
21 by nogridbag | 1 comments on Hacker News.
While I was driving, I received a text message from my father with 3-4 pictures and some of his typical dad jokes. Android Auto prompted me with a new feature "Summarize Messages". Usually I'm strongly against these features but curiosity got the better of me so I clicked "Turn on". Then I clicked "Summarize" on my father's message. It started giving me a detailed summary of names that are not in any of my contacts or my actual social circle, e.g. "Zach and Melanie are planning to visit NYC this summer". I'm not sure if it was truly another person's summary of some canned dev message. But now I'm a bit worried Google is giving other users my SMS history.

No comments